Winter Fuel: Pomegranate, Squash and Roast Potato Salad
Wednesday, May 2013Here's a goody to make for dinner then take in leftovers to work for lunch to help fuel you through the cold winter weather - pomegranate, squash and roast potato salad! If regular potatoes are too heavy for you, or you just want to add a little extra flavour, substitute the potato for sweet potato.
- 500 grams small to medium potatoes (or sweet potato)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium delicata squash
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 200 grams rocket
- Seeds from one pomegranate (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise in halves or quarters depending on size. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/4
teaspoon of salt over the potatoes. Toss to coat. Roast until tender and browned, about 20-25 minutes, turning once.
- While the potatoes roast, prepare the squash. Slice in half lengthwise, and remove seeds and membrane. Slice into thin half moons, 1/4-1/2 cm thick.
- Arrange the squash on another rimmed baking sheet (you may need two baking sheets for the squash), drizzle with one tablespoon olive oil and another
1/4 teaspoon salt and toss to coat.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and put the squash in. Roast until tender and just beginning to brown - about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside
- In a large salad bowl, combine the squash and the potatoes, and season with sea salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add the rocket, half the pomegranate seeds and half of the cheese. Gently toss.
- Top with the remaining cheese and pomegranate seeds. Serve.