Wholemeal Pita Bread Pizza
Tuesday, December 2013
- 4 wholemeal pita breads
- 1 red or yellow capsicum, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 100 grams mozzarella, grated
- Fresh basil, torn
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 4/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 can of whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat the olive in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant and slightly browned, then add the remaining
sauce ingredients. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, allowing sauce to simmer for about half an hour. Sauce should become thick as the
excess liquid slowly evaporates.
- Lay pita breads on two baking trays, and spread 1/3 cup of sauce on each.
- Add capsicum slices and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Place in preheated oven for roughly 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted and crust is slightly brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh torn basil before serving.
Makes 4 pizzas.