The BEST Hummus Recipe
Friday, June 2016
Hummus is the Dirty Dancing’s ‘Johnny’, to any meal – just like the perfect dancing partner, it’s delicious, smooth and is complimentary in making even the dullest ingredient shine! From carrot sticks, to a lamb kebab, to a replacement for butter or mayonnaise in your lunch – it goes with so many things.
Best yet, it also packs a punch in the nutritional side of things with a good dose of protein, dietary fibre and micronutrients such as copper, manganese and folate.
There are no fiddly steps with this one – made with just a handful of ingredients, all you need is a food processor and we think you’ll never go back to supermarket bought hummus again.
- 1x 400g can chickpeas (reserve the liquid)
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch salt
- 3 Tblsp good quality olive oil
- 2 Tblsp lemon juice
- Optional: paprika and fresh parsley leaves to garnish
- Remembering to reserve the canned chickpea liquid, rinse the chickpeas in cold water and tip them into your food processor.
- Add the tahini, garlic, salt, lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of the reserved liquid.
- Turn on the food processor and slowly add the oil while it runs, process until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Serve drizzled with some olive oil, a sprinkle of paprika and some chopped parsley leaves – and enjoy!
Some tasty variations:
- Try adding your favourite spices for more flavour – we love cumin, harissa or a good dash of smoked paprika!
- Stir through caramelized onion, and top with some toasted cumin seeds
- For an extra vegie hit – try blending in 1 cup of roasted vegetables such as eggplant, capsicums or zucchini
- Give it a Mediterranean twist by stirring through ½ cup of chopped olives
- Peanut butter hummus? Sounds weird, but tastes so good! Replace the tahini with 1/3 cup of creamy peanut butter
Nobody puts hummus in the corner....
If you've got a great hummus tip - whether it's a variation or your favourite way to enjoy hummus, let us know!