Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers with Avocado
Wednesday, May 2013
Sweet potatoes are packed full of nutritional value, and burgers make for such a satisfying meal, so why not combine the two into one delicious feed? This recipe does just that while being highly customisable – just add or subtract the toppings to your taste. We highly recommend keeping the avocado for a beautiful creamy contrast with the sweet and crunchy sweet potato patties though!
- 2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning OR Cajun seasoning (or any other of your favourite spices)
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- Plentiful Panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Safflower oil for pan
- Multigrain buns
- Burger toppings: avocado, dijon mustard, onion, olive oil, rocket/spinach/lettuce leaves, tomato
- Optional: additional seasoning such as cayenne pepper or nutritional yeast, salt
- Peel and bake sweet potato, then place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potato together.
- Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning. Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form a patty. Add more
flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs to thicken the mixture if needed.
- Heat 1 tbsp safflower oil in a pan over high heat.
- Form a patty from mixture and coat thickly with Panko crumbs, then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on
- Transfer cooked patties to paper towel and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve on toasted bun with your choice of burger toppings
Makes 7-8 large patties.