Sweet potato gyoza
Wednesday, August 2013Ingredients
- Small to medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2 cm cubes
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce, plus additional light soy sauce for dipping
- 1 packet wonton wrappers
- ½ tbsp coconut oil for frying.
- Place the sweet potato in boiling water and cooked until the sweet potato is tender – this will take around 10 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potato, then place into empty pot and mash with a potato masher. Add the ginger, spring onion and 2 tbsp of soy sauce, then mash again
until well combined.
- Lay the wonton wrappers out and place a heaped teaspoon of the sweet potato filling into the centre of each. Wet your finger with a glass of water,
then wet the rim to fold the wonton wrapper over and seal it closed. Make pleats along the edge using a fork to help secure the filling. Repeat
until you’ve used up all of your wrappers and filling.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy pan with a lid, then lay the dumplings in the pan. Cook for a minute or two until base is golden, then pour in a little
water. Place the lid on the pan let the dumplings steam for two minutes before removing lid and letting remainder of water evaporate.
- Serve with light soy sauce for dipping.
Makes 30 dumplings.