Red Capsicum and Lentil Bake
Wednesday, May 2014The nights are getting colder, so what better way to refuel after an evening workout than with this warm veggie bake? At less than 250 calories per serve, winter warmers don’t get much more guilt free than this. The fiery red capsicum is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C and fibre, while the lentils are loaded with protein, making it a nutritious choice your body will adore. This meal freezes well, so cook up a big batch and keep it in the fridge for a quick meal on those cold nights where the couch is showing more appeal than the kitchen.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 4 red capsicums, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 large cooking apple (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 400 g canned diced tomatoes
- 60 g grated cheddar cheese
- 10 g shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil gently in a large saucepan, add onion and garlic, and fry for five minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add lentils and stir, then add vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the capsicums, basil, apple, white wine, and canned tomatoes and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-proof 9-by-13 baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or freeze remaining portions in individual servings.