Overnight Oats – more than an overnight fad!
Tuesday, January 2015The importance of a good breakfast is not new information, but just in case you missed the memo: everyone is eating overnight oats… and this is one delicious train we’re clamouring to climb aboard!
Creamy overnight oats offer a fantastic way to start off your day. They provide enough healthy fuel to power you through your morning, with the added bonus of being delicious, affordable, and ridiculously easy to prepare. But what we love most about their overnight goodness is that you can make enough for the week ahead and have individual servings ready for you to grab in the morning! That old excuse of ‘I don’t have enough time for breakfast’? With delicious overnight oats, not anymore!
So what are these overnight oats we speak of? Simply put, they’re oats soaked overnight, with the most common formula being equal parts raw rolled oats and liquid. You can use any kind of liquid – think traditional dairy milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, a combination of ‘milk’ and yoghurt. You could even throw some juice into the mix, if you’re feeling fruity!
Pop them in the fridge overnight, and come morning – roll out of bed and your overnight oats will be ready for you to enjoy!
Feelin' fancy? We’ve put together our top 5 favourite overnight oats recipes for you to try! Warning: the first one is just a little bit
Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yoghurt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup protein powder (or additional oats)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
Mix all the ingredients well, and store overnight in fridge. When you’re ready to eat, give the oats a good store and add any additional toppings of your choice, like blueberries or banana!
Banana Nut Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 banana sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean or vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 chopped medjool date OR 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds and 1 tsp flax meal (optional)
Mix all the ingredients together, except for the banana, and store overnight in the fridge. Top with sliced banana when you’re ready to indulge!
Overnight Chocolate Chia Oat Pudding
- 1 small, ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1.5 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup (optional)
In a bowl, mash the banana together with the raw cacao powder. Add sweetener if using one, then stir in water until it forms a smooth paste. Stir in the oats and chia seeds, and then the milk, stirring continuously. Place in the fridge overnight, then top with berries, coconut milk or yoghurt and chopped nuts before serving.
Via To Her Core
Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon light agave or honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Mix all the ingredients together, then store overnight in the fridge to soak. Stir before serving, and add any additional toppings – then dig in!
Via Domesticate Me
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup of milk of your choice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large banana, mashed
Mix all the ingredients well, and place into fridge overnight. Stir and serve with toppings of your choice!
Via Frankie's Feast
Do you have a favourite overnight oats combo? Share your recipe in the comments section below!