Midweek-Mexican: Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
Tuesday, March 2014Ingredients
- 3 cups sweet potato, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 450 grams of canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red capsicum
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your preference)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. In a tray, toss the sweet potatoes with the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and roast for 25
to 30 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- While that's roasting, add the tomatoes, black beans, corn, capsicum, cayenne, and rest of the cumin to a large pot, and cook on medium heat for 15
minutes, stirring often.
- Place a wrap on a plate, and microwave for 15 seconds so it becomes more soft and warm. Spoon out 1/4 of the tomato-bean mixture into the center of
the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the roasted sweet potatoes. Fold in the sides of the wrap, then the bottom, then the top. Turn it over, place on a plate
with some salsa, and enjoy! Or if you prefer a crunchier tortilla, pop the burrito in the oven for 15 minutes - or a sandwich toaster for 3-5 minutes.
- Refrigerate or freeze any leftover filling for easy use later on.