Healthier Rice Pudding
Wednesday, June 2014While rice pudding is usually a heavy, occasional indulgence, it's pretty easy to cut some corners to turn this former guilty pleasure into a healthy, weight-loss friendly treat. This recipe combines canned coconut milk and cooked rice — white or brown rice — to result in a delicious, creamy dessert. The coconut milk cooks the rice into a perfectly soft texture, and with a tad of sweetener and a dash of cinnamon, this vegan rice pudding is the poster child for sweet comfort food. Enjoy!
- 1 cup coconut milk (about half a can)
- 1 cup cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 tablespoon of honey, agave, or maple syrup
- 1 dash of cinnamon
- Add the coconut milk to a small pot. Make sure that you mix the can thoroughly before using to ensure the liquid and solids are evenly mixed, as they
can sometimes separate in storage.
- Bring the coconut milk to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Add the honey and stir to combine.
- Add pre-cooked rice and continue to stir until it is evenly distributed.
- Let the mixture continue to simmer in the pot for about five minutes. The liquids should boil off and the mixture will become thicker.
- Spoon into dishes and sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Garnish with a sprig of mint if you're feeling fancy!