Ditch the takeway – try our Sesame Chicken!
Wednesday, July 2015Looking for a recipe that hits the spot during those cold winter spells, when you’re really craving takeaway? Don’t dial the local Chinese restaurant – try this super simple sesame chicken recipe! Perfect with our favourite cauliflower ‘fried rice’, and serve with a side of steamed greens.
Haven’t jumped on the ‘cauliflower rice’ bandwagon yet? Trust us, it really is good! Especially dressed up in this ‘fried rice’ version, plus it’s a fantastic way to get in an extra serve of vegetable into your diet (and keep those carb numbers down if you’ve been overindulging recently – all good things in moderation remember!). Give it a go today and let us know what you think!
Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 lime (peel removed)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander, chopped (optional)
- In a blender, combine the ginger, garlic, tamari, and peeled lime, and puree.
- Combine the puree with your chicken and pop it into your slowcooker. Cover and cook for 3-5 hours on high, or 4-6 hours on low.
- When the chicken is cooked through and tender, drain any excess liquid and then drizzle with honey.
- Sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds, stirring to coat.
- Finally garnish with green onions and coriander.
Cauliflower ‘Fried Rice’
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups grated raw cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup brown onion, diced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Fry garlic and onions in olive oil over a medium heat, until onions become soft.
- Add the peas and carrot, and cook until the carrot begins to soften (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Stir through the egg, cauliflower and soy sauce. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
We love your healthy take on the classics, have you got any favourites? Keep sharing them with us!