Chicken Skewers with Tahini Satay
Tuesday, November 2013This beautiful clean tahini satay chicken recipe makes for a meal the whole family will enjoy. Serve fresh at the dinner table or cart them to work to devour as leftovers for lunch the next day. With this delightful combination of natural flavours with herbs and spices, healthy eating doesn't have to be boring!
Chicken skewers - ingredients
- 500 grams chicken breast
- 3 tbsp tamari
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander, or ¼ cup fresh coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp fresh turmeric, finely grated
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pinch of salt
Chicken skewers - method
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cut the chicken into 2 cm cubes, and leave to marinate overnight.
- Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes, then thread chicken onto skewers.
- On a BBQ or grill plate, cook skewers on high heat for approximately 5 minutes each side. Serve with tahini satay sauce.
Tahini satay - ingredients
- 1 brown onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ red chilli, finely diced
- 1 inch knob ginger, finely grated
- 1 inch knob turmeric, finely grated
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
Tahini satay - method
- Sauté the onion in the coconut oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli when onions have softened. Stir and continue
to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, tamari, sesame oil, tahini and coconut milk. Turn the heat down to medium and let simmer for around 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat, and add lime zest, lime juice and chopped coriander. Stir well and serve with skewers.