Breakfast Inspo: DIY Banana Walnut and Cranberry Muesli
Wednesday, April 2014Looking for a change to your morning routine in the form of a delicious brekkie? Mix things up with this fueling banana, walnut and cranberry muesli combo - serve with fresh fruit and yoghurt, or simply eat as a flavoursome trail mix!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoon ground flax
- 2 tablespoons natural maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix together the rolled oats, walnut pieces, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground flax and maple syrup in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil. Add the mashed banana and vanilla extract and stir occasionally over low heat for about two minutes.
- Pour the wet mixture over the ingredients in the dry bowl and stir to combine, trying to coat as many of the oats as possible. Taste and add a little
bit more maple syrup and/or cinnamon to sweeten if desired.
- Line a large baking sheet with baking paper and pour the oat mixture onto the pan, spreading into an even layer. (The thinner the layer, the faster
it will cook.)
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a spatula to flip the pieces over, breaking them into smaller clusters.
- Bake for 20 minutes more, remove from the oven, and let cool. The clusters should firm up and become crunchy.
- Transfer the toasted muesli mix back to a bowl and stir in the dried cranberries.
- Store in air-tight containers for up to 4 weeks
Makes about 6 cups.