Breakfast Energiser: Oat-Free Quinoa Muesli
Wednesday, July 2013If you feel lethargic during the day or find yourself going for a snack immediately after breakfast, then perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate your choice of breakfast. Muesli makes for an amazing way to start the day – it’s delicious, filling, and will give you the fuel you need to take on the day ahead! This oat-free quinoa muesli does exactly that, plus it’s gluten-free. Bonus! Serve it with milk, Greek yoghurt, honey, blueberries or whatever other healthy treats take your fancy.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup high-quality maple syrup
- 3 cups quinoa flakes
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups roughly chopped raw walnuts
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped dried figs
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped pitted prunes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Whisk together the olive oil and maple syrup in a large mixing bowl and add the quinoa flakes, stirring to combine thoroughly.
- Evenly spread the quinoa on a baking paper lined tray and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Roast, stirring now and then, until the flakes are dried and crunchy and a lovely golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Let the quinoa mixture cool completely before mixing with the remaining ingredients. Store in a glass jar or other airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 12 half cup servings.