Love your Leftovers: Turkey Burritos
Tuesday, December 2016
What we love about this clever use of leftover roast turkey is that the Mexican twist provides some relief from leftovers fatigue; also the ingredients aren’t going to be taking up too much valuable refrigerator space on the big day as most can be found in your pantry!
A light and healthy meal that is a delicious way to use up those Christmas leftovers.
- 2 teaspoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon pickled jalapeno chilies, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 420g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups cooked turkey (approximately 300g), shredded
- 12 burrito tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- Over a medium heat, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add jalapenos and ground coriander, and cook for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes and beans and simmer over a low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until mixture has thickened - stir occasionally.
- Add turkey. Simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- While turkey is on the simmer, heat tortillas according to packet directions.
- Prepare your burritos by spreading each heated tortilla with a smear of sour cream. Pile on the lettuce, turkey mixture, cheese, coriander leaves.
- Roll, serve and enjoy!