3 Healthy Ice Cream Alternatives
Tuesday, January 2017
Does summer ‘scream’ ice-cream to you? Make way for some new friends because Ben and Jerry can be taken off the speed dial list – this summer, bring your temperature down with something that will make your body happy!
Banana ice cream
If you haven’t tried ‘clean’ banana ice-cream yet – stop whatever you are doing, and get this into your freezer ASAP! This simple treat is a hands-down winner for when you’re craving something frozen and sweet.
This recipe is the perfect base flavour. You can also add in a good dollop of natural peanut butter, some honey and cinnamon, berries, etc.
- Bananas (yep – that’s really it!)
- Peel and slice your bananas (2 – 8 good ripe bananas) and freeze until completely solid (at least 2 hours).
- Process them in a food processor, stopping to scrape down the sides as required, and blend until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency (be patient – this can take 3 – 5 minutes)
- Serve and enjoy!
Coconut Ice cream
- 2 cans coconut milk, refrigerated (the regular full-fat version will give you the best result – chill for at least 2 hours prior to use)
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey (add this gradually, stopping when you find it sweet enough)
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Blend the coconut milk and maple/honey until well combined.
- If you have an ice cream maker, follow the instructions – for those without an ice cream maker, place your sweetened coconut milk in the freezer for 30 minutes, then remove and whisk briefly to aerate. Return to the freezer and repeat until your mixture is firm (approximately 6 hours).
A fan of green tea matcha? Coconut and matcha are a match made in heaven! Add 2-3 Tablespoons matcha powder before freezing.
Avocado Ice cream
- 1 400ml can coconut milk (full-fat), refrigerated overnight
- 1 1/2 hass avocados
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- Place the avocado flesh and lemon juice in a food processor and process until it's smooth like cream.
- Drain any excess coconut water from the chilled coconut milk and whip the cream with an electric beater until it resembles soft whipped cream.
- Gently combine the avocado and rice syrup with the whipped coconut.
- Place in the freezer until firm (approximately 4 hours).
- Serve, and enjoy!